A few months ago one of my coworkers at Redfin unearthed a long-lost treasure lurking in his garage: The Fall 1983 Markline Catalog. This amazing book contains a cornucopia of cutting edge technology from the early 1980s. I was able to borrow the catalog for a day to take it home and scan the entire thing in glorious high resolution.
Here are just a few of the amazing ’80s tech gems in the Markline catalog…
Credit Card Calculator
So Much More
The fun goes on and on and on… for over 40 pages. Just a few more examples:
- Take A Look Into The Future With Casio’s Large Screen Pocket-Sized LCD TV!
- The Miracle of Remote Control—In A Watch.
- Any Watch Can Tell Time… Only The Casio TS1000 Can Give You The Temperature Too!
- Revolutionary Storage Idea For All Your Tapes.
- Koala Makes Your Graphic Dreams Come True With The Friendliest Innovation In Personal Computing.
- The Phone Of The Future Is Here Today.
- How Do Your Buy A ColecoVision Virtually For Free?
- At Last A Rechargeable, Voice Activated Microcassette Recorder.
Where’s My Fall 2013 Markline Catalog?
When this was brought into the office, another of my coworkers tried calling the toll-free ordering phone numbers mentioned throughout the Markline catalog. Unfortunately, one number was disconnected and the other went to some other company who had never heard of Markline.
So what happened to Markline? I dug around online a bit and was able to find this article, published about 10 years after this particular catalog hit the presses.
Catalog Age | October 1993: Markline ‘disappears.’ (Markline International goes out of business)
WEYMOUNT, MA—By all indications, gifts cataloger Markline International is out of business. Markline’s phone lines are either out of order or they go unanswered. Sources close to the company say it has ceased doing business, and “disappeared off the face of the earth,” according to founder and former owner Herb Klein. Klein still runs a business called Markline Business Products in Weymouth, MA, where Markline International had been based.
Gene Bellotti, whose direct marketing agency Harper Bellotti produced catalogs for Markline, says owner Robert D. Montague has “stopped mailing [the catalog], and he’s trying to sell it.”
But fear not! You can still enjoy the entire Fall 1983 Markline Catalog in convenient pdf format by downloading below or simply browsing the embedded version below.